We’re reaching out to Midwestern students, families, educators, administrators, counselors, and youth workers with some good news:
Voyageur Outward Bound School of Minnesota is offering tuition discounts and scholarships for local students this fall.
We recognize that the Coronavirus pandemic disrupted learning, support and enrichment for students this past spring, and this summer. Now the crisis threatens to continue to derail valuable leadership, intervention, and college experiences this fall.
We also acknowledge that the pandemic may be challenging student ability to engage leadership experiences far from home, so we’re offering a friendly reminder to our Midwest neighbors:
VOBS is in your backyard.
Voyageur Outward Bound School can support student success this fall close to home, with in-person leadership courses in the Boundary Waters.
Choose from three types of leadership expeditions this fall:
An innovative and time-tested 28 or 50 day wilderness expedition for struggling teens and young adults. This intensive program supports both students and families to build confidence and resolve conflict with profound experiences and practical problem-solving tools. VOBS accepts counselor, therapist, administrator, and parent referrals for this life-changing program.
10, 15 or 22 day wilderness expeditions for teens and young adults in the Boundary Waters and Northern Minnesota. Students discover belonging, strength, and purpose through shared challenge and adventure. Classic = life-changing experience, skills for success at home and in school, and excellent preparation for college.
30 day wilderness expeditions for young adults seeking purpose and a path to success. Students identify and leverage strengths to unlock personal and peer potential. This program focuses on discovery and direction to help students navigate the transition to adulthood with confidence.
- Call to enroll: (828) 239-2376
- Email to enroll: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mention “GO VOBS” when you call or email and a 5% tuition discount will be applied
- Need-based scholarships available on a first come, first served basis until funds are exhausted
For 56 years, Voyageur Outward Bound has helped students develop skills for success. We realize that in the weeks, months, and years to come, young people will need the strength and tools to face new challenges with courage, compassion, and persistence. It is our goal to provide greater access to our programs today in order to prepare youth for tomorrow. Please share this information with your children, family, friends, and colleagues.
See you in the Land of 10,000 Lakes this fall!
…We actually have 11,842 lakes.. Oofda! That’s a whole lotta lakes. Ya, sure, you betcha.
A Few FAQs:
Question: I’m worried about COVID-19. What can I expect on a Voyageur Outward Bound course?
- Screening. All of our students must pass a thorough health screening to enroll in our programming. Highly experienced staff conduct one-on-one interviews with prospective students. We consult with our staff physician and your physician, and we follow CDC guidelines to assess risk factors for students.
- Driving distance. If you can drive to our program, you can avoid the airport and decrease your exposure to COVID-19.
- Nature is our classroom. Students are not confined in a traditional classroom, sharing germs in close proximity.
- Small size. Expedition crew size is limited to 6-8 students, max, putting in-line with current safety standards.
- Compassion. We practice service above self. Our caring and highly experienced instructors are very supportive and vigilant.
- Leadership. We lead the way for safety standards in the Outdoor Education industry. We’ve been leading with safety and compassion in America since 1963.
Q: What is Outward Bound anyway?
A: Outward Bound changes lives through challenge and discovery. We promote belonging, strength and purpose. Our students join a crew of peers and learn to lead a wilderness expedition. In Minnesota, students can canoe the Boundary Waters, hike the Sawtooth Range or paddle Lake Superior. Whatever you choose, you’ll develop skills for success in school, college and career.
Q: What good is Outward Bound?
A: Outward Bound is a life-changing experience. It not only helps you identify and develop interpersonal skills, Outward Bound adds value to your college application or resume. Admissions counselors and employers understand the value of an Outward Bound experience, and you’ll join an international network of alumni who know you have the potential to succeed.