Attention College Students:
Summer is just around the corner, and we recognize it’s an important season for valuable and resume-enhancing leadership experiences.
Campuses are closed, study abroad programs are suspended, internships are cancelled and domestic air travel is iffy. While Voyageur Outward Bound is confident that our nation will move through and beyond the current health crisis, we want to respond to student need today. At Outward Bound, we value compassion, integrity, excellence, inclusion and safety. These values inform our work, and they inform our bold new decision: Voyageur Outward Bound School (VOBS) will create greater access to excellent, local, lower-risk experiential leadership this summer.
Effective immediately, VOBS will offer a tuition reduction of 5% to college students in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa and the Dakotas who would like to attend one of our Minnesota wilderness leadership expeditions this summer. While funds last, we will also offer significant scholarships to under-resourced students seeking enrollment this summer.
Here’s how to access your summer leadership adventure:
- Identify VOBS courses of interest here
- Contact Student Services to enroll: email@example.com | (828) 239 2376
- Let us know if you need help. Tuition scholarships will be awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis to under-resourced students until we exhaust funding. Ask Student Services for scholarship info.
- Let us know you’re local. 5% tuition discounts will be awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis to Midwestern students, regardless of income, until courses fill. Share this code when you call or email VOBS: VOBS5
A Few FAQs
Question: I’m worried about COVID-19. Why is Voyageur Outward Bound a lower-risk option?
- Screening. All of our students must pass a thorough health screening to enroll in our programming. Highly experienced staff conduct one-on-one screening interviews with each prospective student. We consult with our staff physician and your physician, and we follow CDC guidelines to assess risk factors for students.
- Driving distance. If you can drive to our program, you can avoid the airport and decrease your exposure to COVID-19.
- Nature is our classroom. Students are not confined in a traditional classroom, sharing germs in close proximity.
- Small size. Expedition crew size is limited to 7 or 10 students, max, putting us well under current guidelines for reducing community spread.
- Compassion. We practice service above self. Our caring and highly experienced instructors are very supportive and vigilant.
- Leadership. We lead the way for safety standards in the Outdoor Education industry. We’ve been leading with safety and compassion in America since 1963.
Q: What is Outward Bound anyway?
A: Outward Bound changes lives through challenge and discovery. We promote belonging, strength and purpose. Our students join a crew of peers and learn to lead a wilderness expedition. In Minnesota, students can canoe the Boundary Waters, hike the Sawtooth Range or paddle Lake Superior. Whatever you choose, you’ll develop skills for success in school, college and career.
Q: What good is Outward Bound?
A: Outward Bound is a life-changing experience. It not only helps you identify and develop interpersonal skills, Outward Bound adds value to your college application or resume. Admissions counselors and employers understand the value of an Outward Bound experience, and you’ll join an international network of alumni who know you have the potential to succeed.
Join the crew for challenge and adventure in your own back yard this summer!
We look forward to serving you with compassion, integrity, excellence, inclusion and safety.